History of the School

Our Namesake

John Eliot school was named after an English-born Congregational minister at the First Church of Roxbury.  John Eliot was a missionary to the Indian tribes in the Massachusetts Bay Colony.  John Eliot translated the Old and New Testaments of the Bible into the Algonquin tongue, which was considered a remarkable achievement since the Algonquins had little or no written language.

Our History

The John Eliot School was opened in 1956.

The first principal was Mr. John Hicks, with a staff of 13 classroom teachers. Mr. Hicks was principal form 1956-1977

In 1975, Mr. William J. O'Neil became principal until 1988.

Mrs. Miriam Kronish was principal from 1988 to 2002.  The performance center is named after her. 

In 2003 a new John Eliot School building was constructed on the same site. 

Mrs. Suzanne Wilcox became principal in 2002 and retired in 2013.   During her years as principal the school grew to 19 classroom teachers. 

In 2013 Mr. Roderick MacNeal, Jr. relocated from Detroit Michigan to become principal. During his tenure the student population rose to nearly 400 students. 

2017, Mrs. Karen Bourn was appointed as Interim principal of the Eliot School.  








Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.